Dust mites are microscopic, insect-like pests that feed on dead human skin cells and thrive in warm, humid environments. They are too small for us to see with our eyes, and they don't bite, sting, or get into our body.
Instead, people who are allergic to dust or dust mites react to inhaling dust proteins that come from feces, urine, or the decaying bodies of dust mites.Any swelling (also called inflammation) of the nasal passages caused by dust mites is considered dust allergy. Dust mite allergy is an allergic reaction to small bugs that usually live in house dust.
Signs of dust mite allergy include those that are common to hay fever, such as sneezing and a runny nose. Many people with dust mite allergies also have signs of asthma, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing. Dust mites can live on mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, carpets, and curtains in the house. People with dust mite allergies tend to suffer the most inside their homes or in other people's homes. Dust mites feed on household dust and moisture in the air.
They are one of the most common indoor allergens and symptoms can occur throughout the year. In addition to allergic rhinitis, dust mite allergy can also lead to asthma and cause an outbreak of eczema. An allergic reaction is the body's response to an allergen. Household dust contains many substances that can cause allergies in humans, such as animal dander, insect parts (especially cockroaches), mold spores, and pollen.
However, the most common allergenic components of house dust come from house dust mites.House dust mites are tiny creatures related to ticks, chiggers, and spiders that live in close association with humans. Its main food is dandruff (skin flakes) shed by humans and pets.
Most homes in the United States are likely to have detectable levels of house dust mites and their fragments, which cause allergies. While dust mite populations tend to be scarce in dry climates, most homes in the United States are capable of harboring dust mites. Your healthcare provider may recommend or prescribe medicines to treat dust mite allergy symptoms. Some signs and symptoms of dust mite allergy, such as a runny nose or sneezing, are similar to those of the common cold. Microscopic dust mite particles (especially feces) can remain suspended in the air for hours and be inhaled.
In homes with birds, bird feathers and droppings can also become embedded in household dust and cause problems for people who are allergic to birds. Conventional pesticides should not be used to control house dust mites. You can cover mattresses, pillows, and upholstered furniture with zippered dust covers; the material in these covers is designed with pores that are too small for dust mites to pass through. The allergist will use a thin needle (lancet) to prick the surface of the skin with dust mite proteins. People who have dust allergies are familiar with sneezing, but these aren't the only annoying symptom. Dust mites are almost everywhere; about four out of five homes in the United States have dust mite allergens in at least one bed. If you suffer from a dust allergy, it's important to understand what causes it and how you can manage it.
Dust mites are microscopic creatures that feed on dead human skin cells and thrive in warm, humid environments. They're too small for us to see with our eyes but they can cause a range of unpleasant symptoms including sneezing, a runny nose and difficulty breathing. Dust allergies can also lead to asthma attacks and outbreaks of eczema. The most common allergenic components of house dust come from house dust mites which feed on dandruff shed by humans and pets. Most homes in the United States have detectable levels of house dust mites which can remain suspended in the air for hours. The best way to manage a dust allergy is by reducing exposure to allergens.
This means using zippered covers on mattresses, pillows and upholstered furniture as well as vacuuming regularly with a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner. You should also avoid using conventional pesticides as these can make your symptoms worse. If you suffer from a dust allergy, it's important to take steps to reduce your exposure to allergens so you can manage your symptoms more effectively. By understanding what causes your allergy and taking steps to reduce your exposure you can help keep your symptoms under control.